Saturday 12 June 2010

Whale Valley

I was in the Fayoum desert of Wadi Al Hitan at high noon in 34 celsius heat today looking at whale fossils. This was after navigating slippery stones upstream between two waterfalls in Wadi El Rayan. I reaffirmed to myself that I am not a doer.. or at least a doer of physical activity and as much as I like heat I don't like it directly upon me for hours.. however.. sunstroke and water slippages avoided I had a brilliant time :-) My zenith moment was leaving the others and walking back to 'base' alone through the desert path and hearing the earth and stones speaking; the magic came into its own.. and shortly after I saw a white fox.

On coming back to Cairo I experienced a strange feeling of disconnection; as if I was 'somewhere else' and several fuul sandwiches and a shower later this feeling is still somewhat present. Maybe getting up at 7am has also had something to do with this along with the intense sun rays upon me most of the day. Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow I will once again feel like Cairo is my city.

The last few nights I have been attending ArtBeat festival at Darb 1718; this has been another tremendous success for Darb and I am sending a huge thank you to them for contributing so much to the community and arts scene. I have seen some fantastic bands and acts there these last days and the VIP rooftop lounge with complimentary beers was also very pleasant :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment