Wednesday 17 March 2010

Beds and Irish myths

I can't believe how much beds are in this country!!! It seems such a strange thing that in more 'western' countries one can find cheap furniture; second hand and new; one can even get free stuff very easily. But here, due to the difference in system and part of that being that many people live off the throwaway items and the rubbish, it seems very difficult to find cheap furniture. So.. I am faced with the prospect of having to spend about 2000 LE today on two double beds. I have to have them as artists are arriving and at present I only have two single beds (which will remain also). Then after the horror of spending that amount of money and with no income in sight for the forseeable (until I get more writing students)I have to arrange getting them here and up 7 floors and the bawab no doubt will be wanting to know who these beds are for and why do I need them..

Sometimes I wonder what I am doing. It hasn't reached existential places yet :-) but I have set up this artist residency on no budget and the income from renting rooms will not cover the rent of the place and I have no idea when the money from my next writing students will be and arriving artists have many requirements it seems and I am just a poet, discovering my way in Cairo and with a dream to share and create a space that nourishes the creative soul for myself and for others.

I feel that some people will love it here and some people will not. But I know that whatever I do and however it is, it is in truth and without pretence. I want to make people feel welcome and to share ideas and flow. ArtHome may not be 5 star and it is starting small; but it is genuine and also I have to say very affordable for those wanting to come and explore Cairo!!!!

So, today is St Patricks. I don't observe it but the thing about Irish myths is that sometimes I do wonder if the Irish blood in my veins (my father is Irish) makes me just go for things with Celtic fire and not consider the consequences too much. Otherwise what on earth am I doing here in this city, renting a place that I cannot afford and without a proper job???

Crazy! Magnoon!!!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment